6 Home Remedies and Treatments for Dandruff
A very itchy scalp is definitely an annoying and highly frustrating dilemma. Dandruff is never a pleasing sight and it can truly be an embarrassing problem. That is why we will tackle several effective and reliable home remedies for curing it that can help heal your dry and itchy scalp.
Dandruff is mainly a condition of the scalp that causes flakes of skin to appear, and it is frequently accompanied by itching. While it can be a real struggle, it is a very common condition and it is not harmful. However, determining the causes of dandruff will help identify proper prevention and treatment.
Irritation and Excessive Oil Production of the Scalp
Do you have scaly patches, red skin, and stubborn dandruff? Well, you are probably experiencing a condition called Seborrheic dermatitis. This condition most commonly affects your scalp and the skin’s production of oil. However, in this situation, your scalp releases too much skin cells. When these excess skin cells die, they will awfully combine with the oils on your scalp. It is how dandruff is formed.
Improper Brushing of Hair
Not giving your hair enough time to be brushed can also lead to this medical problem. It is essential to properly brush your hair regularly to increase the blood flow of the scalp. It definitely decreases the risk of dandruff and it is quite relaxing too!
Dry skin is a common problem, especially during the cold months. External factors, together with cold temperatures, low humidity, and heat, trigger dry skin and can cause itching and flaking.
Wrong Choice of Hair Products
Some of the hair products you are using might be the main reason why your scalp becomes inflamed and itchy. Taking time to identify the products you are always using will significantly help you determine what causes your dandruff. Applying too much shampoo on your hair can possibly irritate your scalp as well, especially if it contains harsh chemicals that strip your scalp of its natural oils. Alternatively, you can opt for gentle dry shampoos instead.
Dandruff can also be caused by certain medical conditions such as eczema, fungus, and psoriasis. In this case, it is highly recommended for you to consult your doctor.
There are two ways to help soothe your scalp. First, you can buy an over the counter anti-dandruff shampoo to help cure the itchiness of your scalp and help remove dandruff. Second, you can treat it the natural way. You can try these effective and reliable natural remedies.
If you browse the internet and search for the words “baking soda benefits”, you will find countless results. Baking soda can be used for many things, and surprisingly, it can also help relieve your scalp too. Did you know that baking soda could be an effective do-it-yourself dandruff shampoo, too? It works as a powerful exfoliator for your scalp and it will help you avoid getting dandruff.
This is how you will make your do-it-yourself remedy with the help of Baking Soda:
- Step 1: Just mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with water until it becomes a paste.
- Step 2: Gently part your hair into divisions and gradually add droplets of olive oil before you distribute the baking soda paste on your scalp. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Carefully wash off the mixture from your scalp. Repeat this method on a regular basis. Preferably, 1 to 2 times a week to achieve best results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This ‘miracle’ vinegar is one of the most popular natural remedies due to its amazing benefits. Apple Cider Vinegar contains probiotics and rich anti-inflammatory components that can help remove dandruff and soothe irritated skin. The anti-inflammatory components present in Apple Cider Vinegar also reduce itchiness by preventing bacteria and fungus from growing. With its rich nutrient content, it also adds bounce and shine to the hair, making it more manageable.
This is how you will make your do-it-yourself remedy with the help of Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Step 1: Combine 1 and a half cup of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1 and a half cup of clean water.
- Step 2: Gently massage the mixture into your scalp and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Step 3: Rinse it off using cold water. Do this hair routine repeatedly every other day until you begin to see visible improvements.
Lemon has prominent antibacterial properties. Because of this, lemon makes a great natural choice when it comes to soothing itchy and dry scalp. The acidity present in lemons maintains the balance of the pH level of your scalp, and it definitely helps in eliminating dandruff. It also controls your scalp’s oil production to prevent the nasty build-up of dead skin cells. Lemon is an effective natural ingredient that can help you resolve a number of hair problems other than dandruff. Not only that, thanks to lemon’s richness in Vitamin C, it also improves the softness and shine of your hair.
This is how you will make your do-it-yourself remedy with the help of Lemon Juice:
- Step 1: Gently rub the pure lemon juice onto your scalp and let it sit for 5 minutes. (You may also try first to put a droplet of lemon juice on a small area of your scalp. If it stings, mix the lemon juice with a little amount of water.)
- Step 2: Perform this method daily until the itchiness disappears.
Banana and Avocado
Another combination that can work as a dandruff eliminator would be Banana and Avocado. When they are combined, they can be naturally nourishing and hydrating, and they can effectively lessen the flakes and dryness of your scalp. Bananas contain components that are truly helpful in conditioning your scalp and hair. Additionally, there are antioxidants present in avocados that can maintain the health of the skin cells on your scalp.
This is how you will make your do-it-yourself remedy with the combination of Banana and Avocado:
- Step 1: Crush 2 bananas and 1 avocado and apply the mixture into the itchy areas of your scalp.
- Step 2: Let the mixture sit on your scalp for 30 minutes. After that, wash it off with cold water. Repeat this routine until the itchiness diminishes.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains natural anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic components that will effectually work on relieving the dryness and itchiness of your scalp. The benefits of tea tree oil are also very remarkable. For example, it is useful when it comes to homemade cleaning productions, treating skin problems, healing viral infections, and even in eliminating dandruff.
This is how you will make your do-it-yourself remedy with the help of Tea Tree Oil:
- Step 1: Just mix 3 droplets of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil.
- Step 2: Gently rub the mixture into your scalp then thoroughly wash if off with clean water. (Note: Tea tree oil’s scent is a bit strong, so it is advisable to perform this activity before sleeping.)
It is true that dandruff is not always easy to get rid of. Consistency is the key to optimizing the effects of these natural remedies. So try one of these remedies and pick one that suits your hair type. Be patient enough to do it regularly and you will surely get visible improvements.